CAPE MAY SEAFOOD FESTIVAL
The City of Cape May has scheduled a news conference for Friday, February 14, 2014 at 10:00 am in Cape May Convention Hall, 714 Beach Avenue, Cape May, NJ. The purpose of this news conference is to announce and explain the establishment of a partnership agreement between the City of Cape May and Cape May Forum which will sponsor a yearly seafood festival celebrating the unique association of Cape May and its seafood industry and maritime heritage.
The annual Cape May Seafood Festival will be held on the last Saturday of June, which this year is June 28th. In the case of severely inclement weather, the rain date is Sunday, June 29th. This Festival will entail the closure of a two block section of Beach Avenue between Howard Street and Gurney Street (which will be fully tented) as well as the full use of Convention Hall. The overall operational hours of the Festival will be from 11:00 am until 9:00 pm. The availability to purchase raw and cooked seafood will be from 11:00 am until 7:00 pm in the tented area on Beach Avenue. Free admission to a wide array of educational exhibits and professional cooking demonstrations in and around Convention Hall will occur between 11:00 am and 5:00 pm.
This well-rounded Festival will focus on the following five objectives:
- To create a signature event to promote the City of Cape May as a premier destination to live, work, and/or visit;
- To highlight the immense economic and food supply contributions of the commercial and recreational fishing industry in the Cape May region;
- To educate the general public regarding seafood harvesting and distribution, aquaculture/husbandry, marine science, sustainable fisheries management, and seafood preparation by means of seminar sessions, demonstrations, and tasting experiences;
- To offer locally landed fish/seafood cooked on-site together with complementary entertainment; and
- To provide a fundraising event for Cape May Forum to further its non-profit, educational mission.
The annual Cape May Seafood Festival represents an excellent opportunity to promote the Cape May area as one of the nation’s leading ports in the commercial fishing industry and will also provide all of our regional residents and visitors an opportunity to learn about the fishing industry, taste various kinds of seafood, and participate in an enjoyable and educational festival that will promote tourism throughout the City and the region. As a grand finale, the Seafood Festival will be capped by a free beach concert by the very entertaining East Coast band known as the “Beach Bumz” on the rear deck of Convention Hall beginning at 7:00 pm and ending at 9:00 pm.
At the February 14th news conference, representatives of the City of Cape May, Cape May Forum, and the commercial fishing industry will be available to provide detailed descriptions and answer media questions regarding the purposes, logistics, and financial arrangements for this exciting promotional, educational, and fun-filled Cape May Seafood Festival.